Pipes at home can leak for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, they become clogged over time, and other times they simply wear out from the constant water pressure that is pushing against them. This blog post will discuss some of the most common signs that your pipes might be leaking and how to find and fix them.
Signs of a Pipe Leak
The first important step to determining whether or not you’ll need a residential pipe leak repair service in Carpentersville, IL is to know if the leak exists in the first place.
Below are some common signs of leaks:
- Water Meter Readings Not Matching On Hand Supply – If you notice that the water meter reading has gone up over time, but there’s no explanation for it, chances are something in your pipes needs to be looked at by a professional plumber or contractor.
- Telltale Noises – Weird noises like hissing, whistling, and bubbling are a sure-fire sign of a problem with your plumbing system.
- Low Water Pressure – If you have noticed that water pressure in your home has begun to drop over the past several months, this could indicate problems with one or more house pipes.
- Musty-smell – It comes from mold and mildew, fungi that grow in a damp environment. Not only is this smell annoying, but it is also harmful to your health.
- Stained walls, ceilings, and floors – It’s an obvious visual sign for pipe leaks. Warping in the walls and bubbling on the floor is also an indication of the same problem.
Confirm the Leak
The signs mentioned above can also be an indication of other problems. Or the leak isn’t coming from the pipe but your plumbing fixtures and dishwasher, washing machine, or any other appliances. To ensure that the leak is in the pipe and there’s a need for a residential pipe leak repair service in Carpentersville, IL, perform the following test.
- Check your home’s water meter and take note of the numbers displayed on it.
- Turn off all plumbing fixtures and appliances that use water for an hour. Make sure no water is used.
- Check the water meter again, and compare the numbers you’ve taken note of an hour ago and compare it to the current readings. If it moved, there’s a leak, and you’ll need to contact a dependable plumber as soon as possible to avoid water damage and water waste.
Where to Look For the Leak
Your home has a network of pipes that run in ceilings, behind walls, and underneath floors. So the first step of finding the leak is identifying where the line runs. Without a detailed map of the pipes, finding the exact location of the leak can be like searching for a needle in a haystack. You’ll also need the right tools like an infrared camera to find the leak without having to tear down your walls or ceiling.
The best way to track down a pipe leak is actually to call in a residential pipe leak repair service provider in Carpentersville, IL and let the pros do the work. Professionals use proven-effective methods and state-of-the-art tools to find any leak as fast as possible such as the following:
- Video Camera Inspection – Plumbers will place a video camera through your roof vent, toilet drain, or existing vent. The camera will send real-time images of the pipe’s condition to a monitor.
- Acoustic Detection – Plumbers uses any electronic listening device to survey your plumbing system, determine leak sound, and determine the precise location of leaks, specifically the hidden ones.
- Hydrostatic Pressure Test – It’s another way to detect hidden pipe leaks, usually done on a residential property’s sanitary sewer system.
It’s important not to overlook a leak, no matter how small it is. Even one drip per second from a leaky faucet can result in thousands of gallons of wasted water in a year.
So if you suspect a pipe leak, immediately get a residential pipe leak repair service in Carpentersville, IL to avoid wasting water and more problems down the road. Goode Plumbing is a plumbing company you can rely on in the area. You can contact the team at 773-295-7773 or (773) 930-3451.